After having received the 2 names of my interviewers, I agreed with them on a date and location.
Interviews for the HEC MBA are quite demanding compared to other schools interviews because:
- you have 2 interviews (like INSEAD)
- you have to present whatever you want in 10 minutes (the trick being to know what "whatever" could be :D)
After some quick mutual presentations, I first ran through my presentation. At the end, she asked some questions about my topics, said it was well-presented and clear but lasted 20 minutes instead of 10!
After that we ran through the typical MBA questions:
- Why MBA?
- Why HEC?
- Why now?
- Why did you do it?
- How come this situation happened?
- What is your relation with this family member?
My advice: if you mention this kind of topics in your file, don't assume the interviewer won't ask you questions about it even if it is personal. Be prepared to overcome the awkwardness of the question.
Another question was also a bit awkward:
- Are you a collaborative or competitive person?
- How is the work structured at your company?
After that we went through a general discussion about HEC, professors, student life...
My impression at the end was generally good but I could really tell the difference between HEC and other schools interviews (I will also talk about it in my HEC second interview report). Indeed I really felt that the interviewer wanted to know who I was as a person, whether I was somewhat balanced between my professional and personal life.
More to come!